For many of us, there’s usually something standing in the way of pursuing a dream, be it writing a book, starting a business, changing careers or a new venture. That something could be lack of confidence, fear of failure, to name two. Here are5 steps to help boost your self-esteem to bring out the power in you.
- Get to know the ‘real you’ by asking questions. Many of us underestimate our strengths and powers. Worse, some of us aren’t even aware of our capabilities, and time passes us by because we don’t harness those skills. We’re busy pursuing areas that diverge from our passion. Ask yourself: what drives me? What am I excited about? What’s my purpose? If you can honestly pinpoint what you are passionate about – rather than being swayed in an area due to peer pressure – your confidence will sky-rocket, and you will become attuned to strengths and talents you perhaps took for granted, or didn’t even know you have.
- Write your own story. What would you like to accomplish in your career or life in general? It could be short term (6-months) or long term (5-years). In essence, what you are doing is visualizing how you would like your life and, or, your dream to unfold. This is a great exercise. You’ll be amazed at what is lying dormant within you, and the heights you could reach by having your vision on display.
- Set realistic goals. You’ve written your story and have your profile before you. You now need to set achievable goals. There are only twenty-fours in a day, 7 or 8 of which is used to sleep. Break tasks into small increments and you’ll accomplish your goals. Every achievement, no matter how small, is success, and is a powerful way to boost your confidence when you see yourself getting closer to the finish line.
- Embrace fear. Adversity is a part of life, and we all know that life is not always fair. You will fail at many things. Still, take chances and use adversity to grow. Don’t become a victim. You can learn a tremendous amount from failure that can lead to success, because you will know what you did wrong, and won’t repeat it. Believe in yourself.
- Don’t do it alone. As entrepreneurs, business owners, parents, etc. we wear many hats and can lose sight of our personal goals. Seek the help of a mentor who can give advice, or help you to brainstorm ideas. Having a mentor to model or ask advice is crucial to achieve success.
Write It, Work It, Publish It!
© 2011 Cherry-Ann Carew
WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR EZINE, NEWSLETTER, MAGAZINE, BLOG OR WEBSITE? Please do, but ensure you include this complete resource box:
Cherry-Ann Carew, The Power Writing Coach, Editor, and Founder of Writetastic Solutions, is co-author of the bestselling book, ‘How The Fierce Handle Fear, Secrets To Succeeding In Challenging Times, co-author of the upcoming book, “The Power Of 100 – 100 International Women Share Powerful Stories On How To Stay Focused On Your Dreams,” and author of the upcoming novel, “Whisper Of Lies”. Cherry-Ann helps writers with their creative expression to add value to their books. Learn how her coaching and editing services can help you with your book. Subscribe for your FREE SPECIAL REPORT: Discover The 3 Simple Steps That Will Help You Start And Finish Your Book. Yes, you can have a finished draft in no time!